NEW First Form induction information
What should you do over the summer holiday before you arrive at RGS?
Read. It is very important that you keep up a healthy reading habit. Reading helps you to learn new words and develop your ability to think creatively in all subjects. Reading is your doorway into other worlds. If you don’t already possess floppy ears, a twitching nose and a love of carrots, how else will you ever know what it is like to be a rabbit, unless you read Watership Down by Richard Adams? Ever wondered what it was like to live in Ancient Greece? You’ll not find a flight though time in the departure lounge of an airport unless it’s sandwiched between the covers of a Percy Jackson book by Rick Riordan. So do something different every day by opening a book…
You may choose to read books from the recommended summer reading list, in your induction booklet, or read some of your own books or a mixture of both. Whatever you read, we are interested to hear from you. If you find a moment after finishing a book to complete one of the postcards about what you have been reading, we would be keen to know what you enjoyed about the book. Was it a character, a particular moment, or an idea?
If you wish to tell us about your reading, simply complete one of the postcards on the back of your English induction booklet with your thoughts about a book you’ve enjoyed, stamp it and pop it into a post box. Alternatively, complete the postcards and give them to your English teacher during your first English lesson.
We look forward to finding out where your mind travels to this summer…
Recommended booklist for new First Form students before they arrive
The English Department suggests that you might like to read two or three of the following books for pleasure during the long summer holiday before joining us. Keeping up with a regular reading habit will help you to find your feet here at RGS.
Adventure – crime, mystery, action
- Titanic 2020 by Colin Bateman
- The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
- Cannibal Adventure by Willard Price
- Montmorency by Eleanor Updale
- H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein
- Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle
- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
- The Windsinger Trilogy by William Nichols
- Wolf brother by Michel Paver
- The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick
- Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan
- Airman by Eoin Colfer
- Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
- The Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird
- Just Henry by Michelle Magorian
- Tamburlaine’s Elephants by Geraldine McCaughrean
- Warhorse by Michael Morpurgo
Real life stories
- Abela by Berlie Doherty
- Flour Babies by Anne Fine
- Deeper than Blue by Jill Hucklesby
- The Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
- The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
- The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson
Enjoy your reading!